The 2019 application period for the Breathe for Bea Scholarship has ended. Thanks to everyone who applied! We will be announcing this year’s recipients in May, so stay tuned!
The application period for the 2020-2021 school year will open on January 1st, 2020.
The Breathe for Bea Scholarship Program was launched by the Foundation in 2018 in memory of our cherished Ashley “Bea” Briggs who passed away in early 2017 at the age of 29, after a courageous fight against complications brought upon by Cystic Fibrosis. Ashley never let CF stop her from pursuing her dreams and, after graduating from Sacred Heart High School in Kingston, Massachusetts, she went on to pursue and obtain a bachelor’s degree from Johnson and Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island. It was her spirit and determination that drove the Breathe for Bea Foundation to establish this scholarship program, as we want to help others who are living with Cystic Fibrosis achieve their dreams of a higher education too.
While Cystic Fibrosis presents physical and financial challenges, we want to encourage and reinforce the idea that people with CF can do anything they set their minds to while living with the illness and reach their goals. Here are details about the Breathe for Bea Scholarship Program below so that you can have everything prepared when the application period for the 2020-2021 school year opens. You can also meet our past recipients, all of whom are an inspiration and we couldn’t be more proud of them!
- Academic scholarships are available to individuals diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis, aged 25 and under, who are graduating from high school or continuing their higher education at a two-year, four-year or trade school.
- Graduating high school applicants must have attained a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher over the course of their four years; enrolled college student applicants must currently hold a cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Applicants must be a legal citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Scholarships are for undergraduate study only.
- If selected as a recipient, the winner can re-apply / renew their scholarship in the school years to follow, up until a bachelor’s degree or equivalent is earned. Renewal is contingent upon meeting all criteria outlined in the application and is not guaranteed.
- The Foundation will take into consideration each applicant’s financial situation at the time that the application is received.
- If selected as a recipient of a Breathe for Bea Scholarship, the student(s) will receive up to $500 as a financial award. Exact amount will be communicated to the recipient(s) at the time of notification. As our Foundation grows, it is our hope to increase the maximum amount of assistance we can provide.
- Scholarships may be used towards tuition costs, housing, books, food expenses, or anything else directly related to attending school.
- Checks will be made payable, and mailed, directly to the institution of higher learning on behalf of the recipient(s) of the scholarship.
- The 2019 application period for the Breathe for Bea Scholarship has ended. The application period for the 2020-2021 school year will open on January 1st, 2020. Applications and all supporting materials for the 2020-2021 school year will need to be received by no later than April 1st, 2020, whether it be via our online form, email, or mail. The recipient(s) will be notified by no later than May 15th, 2020. Rest assured that all applications will be reviewed and responded to, regardless if selected or not.
- Please provide proof of residency and citizenship, such as a photocopy of your driver’s license, etc.
- Please provide a hard or digital copy of your college application.
- Please provide a copy of your acceptance letter or proof of enrollment for the upcoming fall semester to a college, university or trade school.
- Please provide a copy of your most recent transcript (thru the fall semester of the current school year) with your cumulative GPA.
- Please provide documentation from your college or university of costs to attend including annual tuition and fees, housing, books, etc. Also please indicate whether or not you be living on campus during the semester you are applying for a scholarship for.
- Please provide official documentation from your doctor/clinic/treatment center confirming your CF diagnosis.
- Please provide a copy of your pay stub or most recent tax return (if applicable), as well as a copy of your parent(s)/guardians(s) or spouse’s (if applicable) pay stub(s) or most recent tax return(s).
- Please provide a detailed description describing how Cystic Fibrosis has impacted your life and the life of your family, and how a Breathe for Bea Scholarship would help you in your future.
- Please provide any additional information you would like the Foundation to consider in evaluating your application, including any current or past community involvement, extracurricular activities and interests, etc.
We value your privacy and will not share your personal information. If selected as a scholarship recipient, we may seek your permission to use your name and any images you send us, on our website; rest assured, any publicizing of your selection will be done only with your approval.